French Outreach Coordinator Internship
About the Internship:
The role of the Intern, with support from the Project Coordinator and Executive Director, is primarily to conduct outreach in Montréal's francophone communities.
FemmeToxic is a campaign by Breast Cancer Action Montréal focusing on the toxins in the environment, particularly those found in cosmetic and personal care products, which are detrimental to human health and can increase the risk of cancer and other health-related disorders.
The goal of FemmeToxic is to advocate for stronger cosmetic regulations. More specifically, the group wishes to change the ways in which Health Canada labels cosmetics and oversees the substitution and removal of toxins in personal care products. FemmeToxic seeks to empower women and increase their awareness of these toxins in products they use, their impact on health and the safer alternatives, while motivating them to join us in giving the beauty industry its long overdue makeover.
- Conducting outreach with francophone schools, community groups and organizations
- Conducting volunteer and intern recruitment in francophone schools, community groups and organizations
- Assisting in the development and translation of FemmeToxic's workshops and resource material
- Assisting in the training of FemmeToxic volunteer presenters
- Co-facilitating workshops in French and bilingual environments
- Assisting in the development and facilitation of various FemmeToxic events
This youth-focused project intends to promote critical thought and engagement in society - especially regarding gender, media and consumerism. Therefore, an intern with an activist background, and/or with the interest to actively engage youth in campaign building is desirable.
Public presentations will be required, so a background or interest in popular education is desirable, as well as familiarity with multimedia methods of education.
NOTE: This position is unpaid; however we are are willing to act in a supervisory capacity if the intern is eligible for academic credit through the internship position.
Career Development that will be acquired through this position:
- Public engagement – by facilitating workshops, conducting outreach and engaging community groups
- Communication – by writing and editing promotional plans, communication material and resource production
- Teamwork – by working in small teams to accomplish tasks, including working with other organizations in partnership
- Problem-solving – by assessing situations and developing creative solutions to challenges
- Responsibility – by establishing personal goals, seeking additional support when needed and meeting regularly with supervisors and colleagues to achieve all goals
- Adaptability – by multi-tasking to fulfill the work plan
The ideal candidate will have experience or interest in:
- Environmental health
- Social activism
- Public education
- Feminist and/or anti-oppression frameworks
- Working within a non-profit environment
- Working with youth; or in a facilitation role
- Working both independently and as part of a team
- Networking or community outreach
- Volunteer coordination
- Fluency in French (oral and written) with a working knowledge of English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with community engagement/organizing
- At ease with public speaking
- Highly organized, reliable, efficient
- Ability to multi-task
NOTE: This internship is well suited for those with a background in Women's Studies, Social Work or related fields.
To apply please send cover letter and CV by email to: email@example.com